Monday 7 December 2009

Lenin-a-like

The Bolshoi, The Metropol, Gorky Park; Moscow is chock-full of places that I've heard of but never really thought about where they are.

Obviously I'd heard of Red Square (I didn't know that the Red bit of it was just a corruption of the Russian word for beautiful, no stories of blood flowing through the streets - how disappointing?), although it was looking more white than red when I was there just now - a veritable wonderland of winteriness.

I'd heard of The Kremlin too, but putting my ignorance on public display I had no idea what it was. I thought it had something to do with St Basil's Cathedral (you know? that one with the domes - incidentally, there's a pretty good story about that involving Ivan the Terrible, an architect and a pair of eyes), it doesn't really, it's a walled bit of the city with enough cathedrals of its own that it doesn't need St Basil's with its Disneyland icing.

Went to see my second dead dictator of the last month. It turns out I look an awful lot like ol' Vlad; it's not often I say that about an eighty year old corpse (hopefully I look at least a little bit less waxy, although, with the length of time I've been travelling, I can't be too sure).

No comments: