Monday 7 September 2009

Orange-flavoured Beasties

Found them.

Okay so I cheated, I went to the Sepilok Orangutan Factory. As a conservation project the rehabiliation centre seems top notch. As a tourist attraction it was somewhat dispiriting. By which I mean hellish. Umpteen coach tours kicking out their punters for feeding time as two apes are handcuffed to a tree and forced to do magic tricks for the crowd's entertainment. Some of that is made up but you get the point, right?

Away from feeding time hysteria the park wasn't too bad - They had walking trails into the jungle. I wandered haplessly into a family of monkeys, which big daddy monkey took exception to. I turned around when I started finding leeches nestling in between my toes.

From Sepilok I spent a night in Sandakan - which probably wasn't worth the visit - and am now back in Kota Kinabalu. How satisfying is that to say? Still can't get my tongue around it. I keep calling it Kota Kinalubu which, let's be honest, is even more satisfying to say.

No comments: