Saturday 28 November 2009

Boots with the Ger

I'd thought a beard would be a welcome addition to my Trans-Mongolian get-up. I'd figured that a layer of facial hair would be an extra layer of warmth. What I hadn't bargained for was that in these kind of temperatures it would just freeze. It's pretty unpleasant but does make me look like an explorer.

I've spent the last couple of days in a Ger camp in the Mongolian nowhere. Below -20 in a tent, I was ready for some serious cold nights, what I wasn't ready for was ludicrous warmth. Five nights in a dorm room without aircon in a Rio summer, absolutely nothing on this. I don't think I'll ever be so pleased to walk through sub-zero temperatures to get to a drop toilet.

Spent the days wandering round the countryside either on foot (fun), sledge (more fun) or horseback (way too cold to be fun) eating hard yoghurt and drinking salty tea, both of which class as local but probably not as delicacies.

1 comment:

Molipola said...

Hard yoghurt... mm, phish food is hard yoghurt. Was it anything like Ben and Jerry's?

Salty tea. That's like nothing nice.

In an only slightly related story, I was watching a documentary about a couple who took their severely autistic child to Mongolia to be cured. The soundtrack to the story was nearly every song from Ma Fleur by Cinematic Orchestra, and it suited the landscape quite well. So, you should listen to that while you're on the train.