Friday 14 August 2009

It's a Jungle Sometimes

Just got back from my second jungle trek of the year (it's starting to get a bit weird how many of those once-in-a-lifetime type experiences I've managed to do twice this year - yesterday I snuck in my second whitewater rafting of the year and I probably wouldn't've even mentioned it if it hadn't proved this point). It was kind of different from the Amazon one (a bit less jungly, perhaps; a few more mosquitoes; we didn't have a guide who encouraged us to eat everything) and kind of the same (we walked through trees; we didn't see any wild animals; it was pretty touristy).

The home-made, balsa-wood raft of the Amazon was replaced with a bamboo raft; the journey was equally farcical as the guides were drunk.

We went elephant trekking. Which seemed a suitably Thai thing to do. A baby elephant followed his mum on the trek - ahhh, how sweet - but when we walked back through the river it looked a lot like he was drowning. Mad staring eyes whenever he resurfaced - you know the look, right?

And a monkey ate Anna's bracelet.

In Chiang Mai now. There's a lot of temples here, I tell you. The kind of amounts that would make the good people of Kyoto nudge each other and say "I told you we should've built more" a lot.
________

Shouts:
Edward T Horncastle and Lucy Loveday - Happy wedding you two squirrels.

1 comment:

Molipola said...

I know the look you're talking about, I teach swimming to small children. 'It's for their own good,' I tell myself. 'Better here than in the middle of the English Channel,' I think. 'Important life skill!' I confidently announce.

But the look in their eyes still says, 'Help! I'm about to die! Why are you doing this to me?'