Monday 8 June 2009

Duke of Boots


I'm in Wellington, I'm sure it's lovely but I've not seen a fat lot of it yet, just the inside of this internet laundry place (internet and laundry in the same place - how very y2k?).

Spent yesterday road tripping; pretty good road trip scenery, within a few hours we'd gone from crystal lakes and conifers, through scrubland and snow-capped mountains into choppy, green, Hobbiton hills under a Transylvanian moon and all the while we were passing big logging trucks. Well road trip.

We stopped at Lake Taupo, I did a 12,000 ft skydive - doing my best to live up to all the New Zealand cliches. I enjoyed it rather a lot, if I'm honest. I liked the plummet. I liked the way my face went all wobbly and I couldn't move my arms very easily. I liked the bit where the canopy opened and we could have a chat about the pros and cons of the New Zealand road network and the new Taupo by-pass. All told skydiving = good.

What I don't really understand is why I found the whole jumping out of a plane thing a lot less scary than jumping off a bridge - some kind of bungyphobia? Odd.

No comments: