Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Cynic Sleeps

I was completely unprepared for how much I'd like Sydney. Who'd've thought, Mr Cynical being all sincere about somewhere as obviously obvious as Sydney. But I really like it. It's like Auckland (Harbour setting - check; Harbour Bridge - check; Sky Tower - check) only better. I like that they couldn't be bothered to think of their own names for things so they just used London names instead. I like that Parliament House looks like a mediocre Italian seaside resort.


I really like the harbour. I like how on the Manly ferry I got carried away as the skyline came into view and I took the same photo as everyone else. And then, on the way home at sunset i was still excited about the view and took the same photo as everyone else again. I like that there are seclude beaches and bits of jungle in pretty much the city centre. It's like Paraty, but it's a proper city.


I really like the Opera House. I like how it looks spectacular from far away but if you get up close it looks a little bit Arndale.


I really like the Botanical Gardens. I like that there are trees and trees full of big, furry, winged apples and that no one seems to care. I like the birds. I like that the two most common birds here are both bonkers: one looks like it was made my Nike in the late eighties; the other looks like a mutant stork that feeds on your happy thoughts.


And I like that I know a whole heap of people here. I like that when Stacey took me to a Thai restaurant she got served a sea sponge. I like that yesterday I met up with Lana and tried to drink like we were back on Jack. I like that I'm gonna be meeting Craig and Lauren tonight.

I really like Sydney.
________________

For those people following from the start that's Country No. 10 across two continents. And that's been about five months so we're not even half way. Bring it on.

________________

Shouts
? - Dirty Thirty. I know you're still telling people you're 26 so I'm not gonna name names. Have a fab party this weekend and see you in Singapore, yeah?

No comments: