Sunday 21 June 2009

Three weeks? Well that won't be long enough.

Before I came away a lot of people asked how long I was planning to stay in New Zealand for, then followed my answer up with the sentence "Three weeks? Well that won't be enough." No one ever said that about any other country despite my planning to whizz through, say, Brazil - a country the size of Europe - in about the same time.

So yeah, I admit, you were right. I didn't get to Milford Sound or Bay of Islands; I didn't climb Mount Cook; I didn't see a kiwi or a whale and I'm still not entirely convinced that pukekos even exist; I didn't walk the Routeburn Track; I didn't learn a haka or eat a hangi and I didn't - despite the whole country's best intentions - have a helicopter ride. But ultimately I feel like I've seen a fair chunk of New Zealand (enough to know I prefer sky-diving to bunjy-jumping, wekas to keas, Route 8 to Route 6, Energy Scroggins to Pinkys, Dolphins to Seals, Fox to Franz Joseph and Auckland to Wellington; enough to know that they do City settings better than they do leftturns; and enough to know that, essentially, it's Britain with better scenery and worse heating) whereas I feel like I've seen none of Brazil.

I left Fi in Wanaka yesterday morning. She's all set up for the ski season with a house and a job and an arthouse cinema (The Paradiso - possibly the best cinema I've been to - we saw Bottle Shock there and it came with a free wine tasting. Not that that influences my decision). Whilst she was sorting herself out I walked up to the Rob Roy Glacier. It was a great little walk, well Lord of the Rings and probably the first time since I've left South America that I had the whole this-probably-isn't-an-especially-sensible-thing-to-do feeling in the back of my throat. A feeling that proved well founded when I discovered that the brakes on the car had frozen. Which is nice.

I drove back to Christchurch the Mount Cook way. The first half of the drive was properly road trip - open planes and telegraph poles, snow capped mountains reflecting in lakes, falcons ripping rabbits apart at the side of the road. The second half was very bland but it did have radio reception which meant that I could complete the "songs you hear a lot of on New Zealand radio" tally. The results were painfully obvious, which means it's competition time.

Answers on a postcard, please, for the Song and the Band I heard most in New Zealand. First person with both correct answers wins a High Five when I see them next. And if that's not an incentive I don't know what is.

2 comments:

Molipola said...

I wish it to be
"Business Time" by FOTC

I suspect it to be
"Weather With You" by Crowded House

Gareth Llywelyn Rees said...

"How Bizarre" by OMC?